Hey everybody! I’m keeping it short and sweet today and just sharing my favorite quote with you all! My favorite quote happens to come from my all-time favorite book, Ender’s Game.
If you haven’t read the book, do so. If you’ve only seen the movie, I’m sorry. The movie was terrible and didn’t do the book justice. Seriously, just read the book.
When I first read Ender’s Game back in 2001 or 2002, this particular quote stuck with me:
There’s only one thing that will make them stop hating you. And that’s being so good at what you do that they can’t ignore you.
–Colonel Hyrum Graff
Perhaps I was an angsty teenager at the time and felt like everybody hated me, but years later, I feel like this quote still resonates with me. Yes, nobody hates me (I hope), but I do know that the way to be noticed is to be the best at something. It could be something good or bad, but you’ll be noticed.
I keep this quote in mind while teaching sometimes. Sometimes I have kids who absolutely detest my presence, but I just tell myself that I need to be so good at what I do that they cannot ignore me. If I’m amazing at my job, they’ll learn something.
What’s your favorite quote of all time?
- Book Review: This is Your Brain on Sports (B4B) - July 17, 2017
- Succulents…or “Finally, a plant that I can’t kill!” - June 12, 2017
- 5 Eco-Friendly Swaps You Can Make THIS MONTH - June 5, 2017
- On my recent hiatus… - June 3, 2017
- My favorite podcasts - April 10, 2017
- Review: Own It by Sallie Krawcheck (B4B) - April 9, 2017
- My favorite quote - March 1, 2017
- 17 for 2017 - February 22, 2017
- My journey into reusable products - February 15, 2017
- About Blogging for Books - February 12, 2017