I have a confession: I live with a sports nut. I did not grow up following sports. I had “my” teams, but I didn’t really follow them. Games came on the TV sometimes, and sometimes I wouldn’t change the channel to get away from them. I enjoyed playing sports-like activities at school. But I was not into sports.
On New Year’s Eve 2009, I met Mike at a party. He was a nice guy and we talked for a while. We discovered we had mutual interests and found the other person to be pretty fun to talk to as well.
And then he told me he was going to drive from Fresno to LA for a basketball game at the STAPLES Center.
What? Who does things like that? I thought to myself. He’s crazy.
I quickly learned that this was par for the course for Mike. My husband is a self-admitted sports nut. He’s been into sports most of his life. He has his teams for every sport he watches, he goes to games, and he has a home and road jersey for almost every team he likes. He’s totally into it.
And you know what? That’s great.
Because of his obsession, I have discovered that I also enjoy sporting events. Sure, I used to cheer at college football games while I was in the marching band, but these were the real sporting events (in my mind–college football is also a real sport). The professionals. These were big deals, and I found myself enjoying them.
From going to games and watching them on TV more often, I’ve discovered that I have preferences for which sports I like. Baseball? It’s okay. Basketball? Nope, too much flopping. Soccer? It’s fun, especially World Cup soccer. Football? Depends on the teams, but it’s pretty fun to watch.
And then there’s hockey. Oh, do I love hockey. I didn’t think I would, but watching guys in layers of padding skating around at a million miles an hour, slamming into one another, hitting the “glass” walls, and scoring goals…wow. I thoroughly enjoy my hockey games. I really get into them, cheering and shouting along with all of the other fans. Sometimes, I feel like I’m cheering louder than my husband. Oops.
Mike’s obsession awakened a love of hockey in me that I didn’t know I had. If it weren’t for my sports nut, I wouldn’t know how fun it is to drive 5 hours to see a game in Anaheim just because we felt like it. It’s really fun to do that, especially if it’s combined with a trip to Disneyland. 🙂
The best part is that Mike and I disagree on every team except for football. We discovered that we liked each other’s teams’ rivals, which makes going to games that much more fun! One of us always wins (unless it’s soccer).
In case you’re wondering, here are the teams and sports I (mostly) follow:
- Baseball: Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim (they’re not even in LA!)
- Basketball: Los Angeles Lakers
- Football: San Francisco 49ers
- Hockey: Anaheim Ducks
- Soccer: Los Angeles Galaxy
Can you tell I spent many of my formative years in Southern California?
- Baseball: Oakland Athletics
- Basketball: Sacramento Kings
- Football: San Francisco 49ers
- Hockey: San Jose Sharks
- Soccer: San Jose Earthquakes
Can you tell he’s a NorCal boy? We’re a match made in sports heaven. 🙂
- Book Review: This is Your Brain on Sports (B4B) - July 17, 2017
- Succulents…or “Finally, a plant that I can’t kill!” - June 12, 2017
- 5 Eco-Friendly Swaps You Can Make THIS MONTH - June 5, 2017
- On my recent hiatus… - June 3, 2017
- My favorite podcasts - April 10, 2017
- Review: Own It by Sallie Krawcheck (B4B) - April 9, 2017
- My favorite quote - March 1, 2017
- 17 for 2017 - February 22, 2017
- My journey into reusable products - February 15, 2017
- About Blogging for Books - February 12, 2017