Hello! Today, I’m here with yet another super quick book review! Today’s review is on Marie Kondo’s The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up.*
I read this one a while ago, and it really did change how I look at clutter around my home. I tend to hoard things by nature, as does my husband. Our apartments were messes filled with things that we might need later–but never actually needed.
After I read this book, I scheduled a day to go through my clothing and get rid of anything that didn’t spark joy in me. At first, I was a bit skeptical about the whole “spark joy” idea, but I found that there were some items of clothing that really did make me happy, and there were some that just didn’t.
When we were packing to move, I kept this book in the back of my mind as we packed boxes. While my husband was trying to keep things that we hadn’t touched for our entire marriage, I was asking him if each item actually made him happy. If it did, we kept it. If it didn’t, we donated it. We donated quite a few boxes of books that were just occupying space.
Since moving into our house, I have found that I am more mindful of the clutter that we do have and regularly ask myself if the item brings me joy or not. If it doesn’t, I decide what to do with it from there. I’m far from a minimalist, but I’m much tidier than I’ve ever been in my entire life.
My biggest takeaway: be mindful of your clutter. Get rid of things that serve no purpose to you and send them off to find a new life with a new family that will be happy with them.
I highly recommend this one. Yes, the whole “spark joy” thing may sound cheesy and the idea of thanking your socks may seem ridiculous, but the book is really worth the read.
- Book Review: This is Your Brain on Sports (B4B) - July 17, 2017
- Succulents…or “Finally, a plant that I can’t kill!” - June 12, 2017
- 5 Eco-Friendly Swaps You Can Make THIS MONTH - June 5, 2017
- On my recent hiatus… - June 3, 2017
- My favorite podcasts - April 10, 2017
- Review: Own It by Sallie Krawcheck (B4B) - April 9, 2017
- My favorite quote - March 1, 2017
- 17 for 2017 - February 22, 2017
- My journey into reusable products - February 15, 2017
- About Blogging for Books - February 12, 2017