Hello again! Today’s post is another thing that came out of reflecting about 2016, and that’s a word to guide my year. I’ve seen tons of people online picking one word to adhere to in 2017, and when I went to think of one thing to focus my year on, this one kept coming back to me.
Rebuild: to build again after something has been damaged or destroyed.
It wasn’t long into 2016 when my spirit was damaged by the death of my mom. On top of that, I had to worry about my brother threatening to kill himself the same night. It was one of the hardest things I’d ever dealt with in my life up to that point. It was also the end of an era for me, the end of having my mom around for guidance and support. I realized that I’d become the matriarch of my immediate family and suddenly had a whole new identity to deal with.
However, I did survive 2016, but I still feel like my spirit needs some TLC. I spent the year focusing on my new identity as an adult orphan and not focusing on helping myself. I’m not going to put away those thoughts about my mom and stop grieving, but I’m going to channel my energy into rebuilding myself into a stronger, more independent person. I am going to come out of this better and stronger than ever. I’m not going to let grief hold me back not because my mom wouldn’t want me to (she wouldn’t), but because I believe that I am worth taking time for.
I plan to rebuild my damaged spirit through doing things that make me happy and give me a sense of purpose. I have the potential to be the greatest version of myself yet.
How about you? What word are you using to plan your goals this year?
- Book Review: This is Your Brain on Sports (B4B) - July 17, 2017
- Succulents…or “Finally, a plant that I can’t kill!” - June 12, 2017
- 5 Eco-Friendly Swaps You Can Make THIS MONTH - June 5, 2017
- On my recent hiatus… - June 3, 2017
- My favorite podcasts - April 10, 2017
- Review: Own It by Sallie Krawcheck (B4B) - April 9, 2017
- My favorite quote - March 1, 2017
- 17 for 2017 - February 22, 2017
- My journey into reusable products - February 15, 2017
- About Blogging for Books - February 12, 2017